Thursday, January 17, 2013

Plants in Peril...?



Rosy Owl-Clover (Orthocarpus bracteosus) – A Red-listed species native to BC's west coast. I saw a very similar species this summer while working in the East Kootneys. Plants are only 20 cm tall and their flowers are a brilliant pink – the most brilliant color I have ever seen in a wildflower!!


As I was looking through the Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation’s list of funded projects (HCTF 2012), I was struck by how very few dealt with plants. From the HCTF, people have received funding to enhance the habitat of Lytton elk, maintain salmon and trout spawning channels, restore western painted turtle habitat, and prevent rattlesnakes from entering human-inhabited areas. Other funded projects aim to identify the bat species present during the winter in Southern BC while more still plan to determine population sizes for BC’s steelhead and sturgeon fish, grizzly bears in the Stein valley, and goats in the Shuswap region. And while I agree with the need and idea behind many of these projects, I cannot help but wonder – what about the plants?
            In BC, there are over 1100 species and subspecies of plants that are either red or blue listed (BC Ministry of Environment, 2013). That is, in BC alone there are over 1100 plant species that are endangered, extinct, extirpated, of special concern, or are threatened. Comparatively, there are only 400 animals in to BC that fall into these five categories (BC Ministry of Environment, 2013).

            Despite the overwhelming numbers of red and blue-listed plants, all of the projects I saw on the HCTF's website focus upon the “habitat protection” of various animals (HCTF 2012). Nowhere did I find a project with the purpose of protecting a specific endangered plant species. And while protecting the habitat of other animals does in turn protect the plant species that live there, I cannot help but wonder if we are making a mistake by not explicitly protecting our threatened plant species. I mean, it isn’t like plants are entirely useless – all animals (including ourselves) depend upon plants to provide us with oxygen to breathe, food to eat, material to make shelter of as well as to maintain countless other ecosystems services.
            I suppose the point I am trying to make in writing this blog post is thus: Given that there are almost three times as many endangered plant species than there are animals of concern in BC, is it a good idea to focus only upon these animals and not on the plants that all animals depend on? That is, if we forget to protect the plants, where will it leave the animals?



BC Ministry of Environment. 2013. Plants & animals search results [Red & blue list] - BC Species and Ecosystems Explorer. BC Ministry of Environment, BC. Available from http://a100.gov.bc.ca/pub/eswp/search.do?method=process&searchType=COMBINED&bcList=Red&bcList=Blue (accessed January 15 2013).

Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation (HCTF). 2012. Approved project list 2012-2012. HCTF, BC. Available from http://www.hctf.ca/News/newsrelease/APPROVED%20HCTF%20PROJECT%20LIST%202012-13.pdf (accessed January 15 2013).

15 comments:

  1. Just testing to make sure this works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some very good points! Plants rule!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is essential to focus on both plants and animals. As you stated, without the plants animal diversity and survival may be jeopardized. Perhaps animal management is easier to carry out and more recognizable by the public as performing a protection service. Are the animals that are endangered partly responsible for the devastation to the plant species? Interesting topic here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did not realize that there are so many B.C. plants in trouble! It seems obvious that we should be trying to protect plants alongside the animals...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was completely unaware of the number of threatened/endangered/of special concern plant species there were! Although, having had it brought to my attention it is no wonder that plants suffer - especially with the threat of human expansion. I might be making a false assumption but I would think that it's easier to bring the public's attention and compassion to an animal in need of conservation than to a plant. Humans tend to anthropomorphize more often with animals. Even gardening seems to be a dying art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice point, Alyssa. Perhaps the public isn't educated enough with the topic of endangered plant species as well? For me, plants all look alike. I could never tell the difference between two similar species, let alone realize that they are red listed. You hear about animals being threatened all the time but not many people recognize the importants of plants.

      Delete
  6. Firstly, it took me a while to make this work, so this will be short.
    I really liked your blog. It was a very enjoyable read, although I think it would be interesting to hear more about specific species that are endangered in BC and what their significance is. However, you are right: plants are definitely essential to our continued existance and deserve our respect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I ever really thought of the threats to plants

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great topic! I never really thought about plants being endangered before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This topic was very interesting. When I think conservation, I automatically think animals. This was a real eye opener.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm interested to know what plant conservation looks like. I suppose setting up national parks also includes plants in their protection. I agree that animals are more often conserved, and I agree with what others have said that the public would be more on board. But what does a plant conservation project look like? Planting seeds? Irrigation? I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This was a great read, I love angiosperms and I also did not realize how many plants were in trouble in B.C.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome post. It is definitely a good point that we don't focus on threatened or endagered plants at all. Perhaps this is type of thing you might want to look into for the conservation project... but I also agree tiwht hannaiblings, what would this type of conservation project looks like?

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice. interesting, and valid point. If people want to protect animals they are kind of putting the cart before the horse in failing to protect plants.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good point. How can the animals live without the plants? Thank you for making me think!

    ReplyDelete